NOTE: Our Mexico 2018 Retreat is SOLD OUT
Please join our mailing list to stay informed about our upcoming retreats.
OFF THE GRID MEXICO | Chiapas 2018
Off The Grid is pleased to announce that we're heading back to Mexico for our winter retreat in January, 2018. Partnering with AireLibre as we did in 2017, we will visit the state of Chiapas, which is the southern-most region bordering Guatemala. You can expect a culturally rich experience with highlights including trail running, yoga, meditation, ancestral medicine, and epic scenery.
A TWO PART ADVENTURE...
January 20-27, 2018
The first three days of this trip we'll be immersed in the local culture, taking in the Fiesta de San Sebastian Chiapas. We'll be tourists, we'll run the city, and take in the culture and excitement of the festival. On Tuesday afternoon, we'll leave the hustle behind as we head to the mountains for part two of the adventure: The trail-run retreat.
January 20-23 - San Cristobal, Chiapas
During the first few days, we'll have a chance to get climatized to both the heat and elevation. We'll run the city, eat amazing food, and take in the exciting culture of this southern Mexican Region. Luckily for us, we're arriving during Fiesta de San Sebastian Chiapas - a celebration which brings out the entire community and will be a cultural experience like no other.
January 24-27 - Lagunas de Montebello National Park
This is what we came for... 4 Days of adventure running through some of the most spectacular trails and routes. This isn't your average out-and-back. We'll run in a new area every day and stay in a new village each night. On top of this, you can expect great food, yoga, meditation, and will learn about traditional medicines, and experience the Temazcal.
Saturday January 20
Dinner and evening in San Cristobal de la Casas
Sunday January 21
- Take in the Fiesta de San Sebastian Chiapas (surely to be a cultural highlight!)
- Visit Zinacantán - Known for textiles and patchwork
Monday January 22
- Morning Meditation and Running Tour around San Cristobal
- Tour to Cañón del Sumidero - A beautiful, deep, scenic canyon
Tuesday January 23
- Tour to El Chiflón Waterfall
- Travel to Comitán where we'll spend the night before kicking off the 'run' portion of the trip
Wednesday January 24
- Run 13km to an Archeological site
- Spend the night in Uninajab
Thursday January 25
- Morning Meditation
- 15km Trail Run in Lagos de Colón
- Evening Yoga
- Spend the night in Lagos de Colón
Friday January 26
- 20km Trail Run at Parque Nacional Lagos de Montebello
- Afternoon Yoga
- Spend the night in Tziscao
Saturday January 27
- Morning Meditation
- Shuttle to Airport
- OPTIONAL: Stay an extra night (We will arrange the hotel for you, however there will be an additional cost for the extra night. More details to follow)
- 14km Run to la Chinkultik Archeological site
- Check in and tour around Comitán for those staying until Sunday
Sunday January 28 (OPTIONAL)
- Free time in Comitán
- Shuttle to Airport
What's includeD & PRICE
- Hotels / Lodging for the week (Optional night extra)
- All ground transportation for the week (Including airport pickup and drop-off in Mexico)
- Daily tours
- Tour Guides
- All meals during the run portion of the trip (Wednesday - Saturday)
- All Yoga, Meditation, and Guided Runs
- All registration processing, exchange fees
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Do I need to be an experienced trail runner?
No. All paces and levels of experience are encouraged to join. Run's within the towns will be between 5-8k, while trails runs will be between 10-20k (with breaks)
OK, but do I need tail shoes?
It's not mandatory, but a trail shoe with a rock plate is a nice thing to have when running on gravel trails/roads
By any chance, did someone write a first-hand account of last year's retreat?
Actually, Yes! Justin Close wrote a great article about last year's trip and you can view it HERE!
What's NOT included?
Flights. We will share information about which flights we recommend booking (based on timing), but you're free to book the flight that works best for you.
Meals from Sunday, Monday, Tuesday. All meals during the run portion of the trip will be provided.
I'd like to start looking at flights, but you can't fly to "Chiapas". What city are we flying to?
Yes, correct! Chiapas is the State. We're flying to Tuxtla, Gutierrez (TGZ). We'll share more info about booking flights once you've registered.
Aeromexico has flights from Toronto with one stop in Mexico City.
What should I pack?
The OTG Team has you covered... We'll send out a packing list a few weeks before the retreat